Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 19:20:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Travis Cole <tcole@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

The point is that it isn't a help channel and we emphasize that every 3-5
minutes and everytime a question is asked.

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Travis Cole wrote:

> On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:43:38PM -0700, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
> > > I happen to share an office at work with the guy who got flamed and
> > > then kick banned on #FreeBSD.
> > >
> > > Yet another reason why I don't go to #FreeBSD any more.  Its often
> > > times distressing how people can instantly turn against you there.
> > >
> > > :(
> >
> > Once again, let me spell it out for you guys.  #freebsdhelp
> > Did you get that number ?  Lemme share it again.  #freebsdhelp.  Just
> > because people are in a freebsd chat channel does not mean they should have
> > to endure massive amounts of repetitive questions.  That's why there's a
> > help channel.  Get a clue or stop complaining.  There's also
> > www.defcon1.org, www.freebsd-howto.org, and www.freebsd.org/handbook
> > There's plenty of help out there without abusing the knowlegable people on
> > IRC, who want to come on IRC and talk to other knowlegable people without
> > being plagued by beginners.  Those who CHOOSE to share their knowlege and
> > information with people are in #freebsdhelp.
>
> Well, the thing is neither I nor my coworker are FreeBSD or Unix
> newbies by any means.  We are professional Sysadmins for a rather
> large internet company and are responsible for several hundred
> unix hosts, including many (more than 30) FreeBSD web servers.
>
> My point being we are not clueless newbies asking lame questions which
> are plainly documented in the FAQ or handbook.  The answer to my
> coworkers questions were not documented in the FAQ, Handbook, LINT
> or any other remotely obvious place.  Unfortunately the FreeBSD project
> is a bit slow on documenting what hardware is supported (yeah,
> I know I should quit bitching and help).  So the only other way to answer
> such a question (is hardware product X supported) is to search the commit
> logs, which may or may not come up with your answer, grep the
> source which is also imperfect, or ask someone who may know because
> they are a member of the project (yes, also imperfect).
>
> #FreeBSD seems like a natural place to ask such a question since
> many project members spend time there.
>
> But that assumption is apparently quite wrong.
>
> Sorry, I won't make the mistake of asking questions on #FreeBSD no
> matter how intelligent or stupid they may be.
>
> Just a bit annoyed how people seem to assume one is a total Unix
> of FreeBSD newbie moron if they ask questions.   Not just dumb
> questions, questions, any questions at all.

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |