Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:04:20 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, amanda-users@amanda.org
Subject:   Re: tape record too big for supplied buffer

>I am using amanda 2.4.2p1 on FreeBSD 4.3. The tape drive is (from
>dmesg):
>---
>sa0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
>sa0: <HP C1537A L708> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device sa0:
>10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
>---
>Jun 20 09:57:00 kuller /kernel: (sa0:ahc1:0:6:0): tape is now
>frozen-use an OFF LINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this
>state.
>---

Hi,

This is known to happen with FreeBSD.

I noticed it only happened on the first command run on one mounted
tape (and so far only on amlabel for me). Only way to solve it is to
do "mt offline" and start again. I tried to minimize the risk by
training my staff to do an amcheck once they loaded a new tape. That
way, if it must fail, it'll fail on the amcheck, not on the amdump.

It COULD be a dirty drivre, as it did not happen to me for long time,
since I do clean the drive once a week.

Olivier