Date:      Mon, 01 Apr 2013 17:07:20 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any objections/comments on axing out old ATA stack?

Am 01.04.2013 15:14, schrieb Victor Balada Diaz:
> Being able to configure quirks from loader.conf for disks AND controllers would be great
> and is not hard to do. If you want i can do a patch in two weeks and send it to you. That
> way it's easy to test disabling NCQ and/or other things in case of hitting a bug. Also
> being able to modify the configuration without a kernel recompile would be a big
> improvement because we could still use freebsd-update to keep systems updated.

Something like:

kern.cam.ada.0.quirks=1

to force 4KB sectors?

No need to implement that, it is in -CURRENT (did not check -STABLE).
But there is no quirk, that disables NCQ, currently, although it is
easy to implement. See the places where "ADA_FLAG_CAN_NCQ" is set and
make that value depend on a new quirk flag being unset ...

But instead of setting that flag in the loader, it would be good to
collect drive signatures that need it and to add quirk entries for
them in ata_da.c ...

Regards, STefan