Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2018 08:27:44 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xstr, mkstr

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 8:25 AM, Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> But, as I said early, lets just shelf all this "lets remove this or
> that cause of foo" until package base is done, and then a group of
> people should create a documented critiria list of what should or
> should not be in the base system, and do a tree wide sweep rather
> than have 100+ threads over the next 5 years about this or that.

It does tie into the deprecation stuff too.

xstr, at least, needs major work to support modern C dialects. It's not
just old, it's also broken. A quick stroll through the code shows this. It
should go because it's not worth taking with us to pkg base.

Warner