Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:48:25 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Speeding Up Make World

3 suggestions from 4 different places have helped me cut my time to
"make world" from 1 hr 15 min to a half hour - thought I'd pass along the
links for anyone who doesn't already use these and is looking to speed
up the process.

* Using a MFS, suggested on BSD Vault at
http://bsdvault.net/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=53 - doubling the
suggested MFS size gives me good results.

* Tuning suggestions at
http://www.daemonnews.org/200108/benchmark.html and the tuning(7)
man page http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?
query=tuning&manpath=FreeBSD+5.0-current - many of these are
more applicable to a server environment, but some were quite helpful to
little ol' me on my PC.  :)

* Mounting usr/src with the -noatime option, as suggested in the
Handbook (section 20.4.15.6) at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-
1/books/handbook/makeworld.html .

Jud

P.S.  Does using mergemaster prior to "make world," as suggested in
Mike Tancsa's post this evening "Re: make buildworld fails..." have any
speed or other advantage over doing so afterward?