Date:      09 May 2001 12:05:20 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Restrict login access if no homedir? /etc/login.access group?

I support a couple small ISPs and I use ssh to sync /etc/master.passwd
and group between the systems (instead of something like NIS).

On some critical systems (e.g., DNS, RADIUS) I don't want the normal
users' entries in /etc/master.passwd to allow them login access to the
server. For shell and www/ftp servers, I do want them to have access.

Here are couple mechanisms to restrict this on a host-by-host
mechanism while keeping the same master.passwd file that come to mind,
but I could use some clarification:

1. Prevent login access if the user's homedir is non-existent. Is
   there a way to set this? Most systems will log you in and put you
   in "/", not what I want.

2. Put an entry in /etc/login.access like:

   -:ALL EXCEPT wheel sysadm staff shutdown sync:ALL

   to allow only users shutdown|sync and users in groups
   wheel|sysadm|staff to have login access.

Suggestions? Thanks.