Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:12:41 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>, freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installer Roadmap

--nextPart3047959.TjBYZPoihf

On Saturday, February 19, 2011 02:44:42 am Bruce Cran wrote:
> On Saturday 19 February 2011 03:04:39 Devin Teske wrote:
> > There are many reasons for this, and none of them are selfish (although
> > it remains possible to drum-up some selfish reason, all of the reasons
> > behind our motivation are in-fact unselfish). Truth-be-told, I welcome
> > the replacement of sysinstall but am very wary that ANY replacement will
> > be able to exactly replicate the hardware compatibility that sysinstall
> > currently enjoys. I do indeed envision a great celebration as FreeBSD-9
> > bucks sysinstall but also at the same time have nightmares of receiving
> > waves of calls from people having trouble (for example) "installing
> > FreeBSD-9 on their AMD K6 based system, circa long-long-ago in a
> > universe far-far-away." (yes, we do have data centers running that very
> > equipment with uptime in the 1,000's of days).
>=20
> I think bsdinstall as it currently is is simple enough that there shouldn=
't
> be any compatibility issues: it uses gpart for partitioning, runs tools
> like tzsetup to configure settings etc. so there's far less to go wrong
> than sysinstall's custom code which for example could crash on the
> "probing devices" screen.

pc-sysinstall has been used as the PC-BSD installer for quite a while now, =
and=20
has done a lot of installs on a lot of different hardware platforms.  I'll=
=20
wager that the compatibility of the shell command gpart is a better bet tha=
n=20
the "stick your thumbs in you ears and yell nananana while you scribble 1's=
=20
and 0's to a disk and voila, there's a disklabel" approach that sysinstall=
=20
uses.

That being said, sysinstall holds FreeBSD back in a lot of ways, using GPT=
=20
labeling, installing to ZFS, or gmirror, using geli, all require you to boo=
t=20
to a shell and do an install by hand.  I'm sure more people can chime in to=
=20
limitations in sysinstall than I can think of off the top of my head.

So my question is: Given that everyone involved is very conscious of lockin=
g=20
out FreeBSD from hardware platforms due to installer compatibility, wouldn'=
t a=20
better use of your time be investing in the future and ensuring that it wor=
ks=20
on legacy platforms as opposed to putting sysinstall on life support when i=
t=20
already has some fairly serious missing functionality, that is only likely =
to=20
become more of an issue in the future?

=2D-=20
Thanks,