Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 2004 08:59:57 -0500
From:      "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   slow serial console 5.2.1

This is really odd. I setup a 5.2.1 machine and used the serial port for
console. I see it booting up just fine until it gets to the part where it
checks the hard drive for fragmentation....then it SLOWS to a crawl....

it get's past the hard drive and then each part of the boot is word by word
as if someone is typing it....

Once the machine is up, the network side of it FLIES and all is well...but
the serial console cannot be used at all...nothing happens. Like it's
jammed or stuck for example.

This is on a compaq deskpro EN SFF with dual COM ports and I built a kernel
that detects as much as I can on this machine.

I have other FreeBSD machines that do not exhibit this and was wondering if
anyone else came across this before and what they did?

Thanks.

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA