Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:16:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cross-build world and kernel broken by g_bde stuff

The gbde stuff, both in sys and sbin, are set up in both source and
makefiles so that they can't be cross-built under -stable.  (and the
first build under current may be a problem too, since geom/bde/g_bde.h
won't be installed either...)

Hint: /sys is NOT a valid way to find /usr/src/sys in a cross-build
environment.  (and machine/* doesn't exist there anyhow).
Most other kernel functions use -I- and then a host of other include paths;
because of the fact that machine/*.h doesn't exist as such in the source
tree I don't know how to reference this.  There is an installed copy
of what should be in /usr/include in the i386 section of /usr/obj; is
there a standardized way of directing the includes there?  (the makefiles
and make macros are very convoluted.)

These don't exist under stable:
machine/lock.h
geom/geom.h
geom/bde/g_bde.h

and various others that do exist have wrong values.

I did add the stdint.h (and friends) stuff to my stable just to get
around this the last time.  However, I don't want to change things that
already exist in -stable...

Generates LOTS of error messages; make -k doesn't help since it
refuses to link the kernel anyhow...

-- Pete