Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 17:44:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bragging rights..

> I'm just going by what Jordan said..........

Well that's hardly a reasonable thing to do if you're trying to sell your
product  :-)

> >Given a sufficiently inexpensive sync serial card, physical control of both
> >ends of the link (so that you don't have somebody charging you a fortune for
> >the privilege of doing sync serial on a router port, etc), I think it could
> >be a really good solution.  I would do it myself.  :-)
>
> If you can get an extras $50 or $100 a month the price of the card is
> recovered quite quickly. and since the smart sync uses less CPU at the hub,

Yes, but most customers groan at the thought of yet another recurring fee...
which is why this is a point _against_ sync, rather than _for_ it.

Most places are looking for economical solutions.  If they have to purchase
a sync card that will cost them more and they may potentially have zero use
for in a few months when they decide the Internet thing isn't for them, AND
they have to pay higher fees to utilize it, what do you think they will do?

> you get more use out of your hub CPU.  Its a selling point, for those that
> want it. If you have an advantage over other ISPs then you can lure more
> customers. Its just business. Not for everyone, of course.

Of course it's a selling point - I know ISP's that will sell dead fish to
customers, if their customers want it.  But you seem to be missing my basic
idea:  I doubt most people would be willing to pay so much more for so
little extra.  If you have any doubts, see what happened with things like
16.8K and 19.2K modems.

It's all market analysis.

... Joe