Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:53:45 +1000
From:      Geoff Roberts <robertsg@westnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath driver and wg311t

> On Monday 26 July 2004 07:35 am, Geoff Roberts wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a Netgear WG311T (Atheros chip) card in my FreeBSD current
> > machine. I'm trying to set it up as an access point.
> >
> > The card at the other end is a netgear WG111 (USB) on windows XP.
> >
> > It is very, very hard to get the two to connect (takes hours). Most of
> > the time they don't. Once connected though they stay connected pretty
> > well.
> >
> > I've turned on debug.ieee80211 and get the error message:
> > unsupported auth 1.
>
> snip
>
> Your problem is likely due to use of 11g. =A0The existing net80211 code in
> FreeBSD is missing proper 11g support. =A0Try forcing the ap to use only =
11b
> and see if things work.
>
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Sam

The answer is yes and no. The first time I forced the AP to llb the WG111=20
connected OK. I've since been rebooting both the W2K machine and FreeBSD=20
machine over the last day or so and there is still a lot of unsupported aut=
h=20
1 messages. Sometimes they eventually connect and sometimes not.

Again, once connected they stay connected.

Would a tcpdump reveal any more or should I be looking somewhere else for t=
he=20
problem? Also, do the parameters for the WG311T on FreeBSD need to be set i=
n=20
any particular order?

Thanks,

Geoff