Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:22:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Dave Roberts <dave.roberts@saaconsultants.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Security Exception on java40.jar (Communicator 4.06 on 2.2.1)

I was going to send this out as a cry for help.... but you know how it
goes, you explain things to someone, you think a bit more, you do some
investigation, and just after you press the 'send' key, you solve your own
problem.    This is one of those occasions, but I solved it before I sent
it. :)  I'm sending it now, so that it gets archived and may help someone
else in the future.

--- here's the bit I typed as I thought ---

I've checked the archives and can't find anything relevant.

I'm running Communicator 4.06 on FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE.   If I have Java
enabled, and go to a page where there is an applet available, an error
dialog pops up with the following message:-

# Error: The server's certificate has an invalid signature.
You will not be able to connect to this site securely. (-8182)
# jar file: /usr/local/lib/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar
# path:      /usr/local/lib/netscape/java/classes/java40.jar

After which it locks out Communicator completely, and I have to kill it
off.  This of course leads to a lock file being left, which brings to the
again, I obviously get the same problem.  If I leave the lock file in
place, and proceed with running Communicator, the applet loads and runs
without any problems.

This leads me to believe that it has something to do with the certs or key
db files, due to the "2nd" copy not being able to access these things.

--- this is as far as I got --

Thinking about that last paragraph got me wondering if any of my
certificates imported due to using S/MIME had messed up the settings.
They hadn't. Cutting a long story short, and borrowing the 'secmodule.db'
file from another user, I had found that within Generic Crypto Svcs of the
Internal PKCS#11 Module of the Securoty dialog, I had disabled DES and
MD2.  Enabling these again got java working as much as it does "normally".

Like I said, I hope this helps someone in the future.

- Dave.