Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:10:30 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "David R. Colyer" <davedillinger@wyoming.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual P4 2.4Ghz Xeon With Hyperthreading enabled...

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:59:58AM -0600, David R. Colyer wrote:
> No doubt this has been answered before, but I have an asus p4pe with a 3.=
06=20
> p4.  Naturally, it is enabled in the bios.  To enable hyperthreading do I=
=20
> need to recompile my kernel with smp support, and if so...does this apply=
 to=20
> freebsd 5.1 release as well?  (my friend wants to know).  Additionally do=
es=20
> changing the machdep.cpu_idle_hlt to zero make it faster?  Thanks in adva=
nce.

Yes, you need SMP support in all releases.  As to your second question,
define faster.  It depends heavily on your appliction mix.  My guess is
that on a UP system which is doing something other then running a single
compute bound process it's going to be a minor win, but only measurement
will tell you anything.

-- Brooks

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm

--rJwd6BRFiFCcLxzm--