Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:07:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Mills <johnmills@speakeasy.net>
To:        stan <stanb@panix.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Good tool for light photo editing?

Stan -

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, stan wrote:

> I just got my first set of pictures on CD's (vacation pics), and I wan't to
> put them up on my web server.

> What's a good tool to do some really lightweight editeing on them with?
> Mostly I just need to rotate the vertical ones, but I _might_ do just a
> little cropping on some few.

ImageMagick (and sibs - it's a collection of utilities, like gcc) does a
good job of resizing, thumbnails, format conversion, etc. Check the man
pages for rotation commands - I haven't tried that. It has a GUI (as
'display'), is very handy for scripting, and pretty lightweight, too.

For heavier hitting, GIMP.

In between: Xv, which you've met.

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu