Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 22:09:18 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security Survey

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:

> On 23/05/06, Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com> wrote:
>> All that said FreeBSD's ports are still the reference
>> implementation, head-and-shoulders better than up2date, yum, rpm,
>> apt-get, or anything else out there.
>
> I guess you haven't looked at OpenBSD's branch of FreeBSD's
> pkg_add(1), where they've added some cool support for automatic port
> updating, which seems to work quite well:
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PkgUpdate
> http://www.openbsd.org/papers/ven05-espie/

Come to that, gentoo's emerge system is pretty good, having learnt a lot
from FreeBSD's ports system, and then gone a few steps further.

Andrew

Andrew McNaughton           http://www.scoop.co.nz/
andrew@scoop.co.nz          Mobile: +61 422 753 792
                             pgp keyid: 1C7A8CFD
--
"We are trying to figure out how you conduct a war against something
other than a nation-state and how ... you conduct a war in countries