Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 00:51:01 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Any interest in parallel-port Zip drive support for FreeBSD?

On Fri, Apr 18, 1997 at 12:29:03PM +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.html
> >
> > It's apparently very slow, but functional.
>
> There's also been some discussion (I think it was on -hackers) with
> people who were using this on both 2.2 and 2.1-vintage systems,
> and someone had a slightly cleaned-up version they were using.
>
> I had hoped to get my hands on one to test it with, or to hear back
> from the original correspondent to confirm they were happy, but
> neither happened.  It certainly works as far as I know.

At any rate, it's certainly worth looking into. The ZIP drives are very
handy, and although I use a SCSI model, the Parallel ones are wildy
popular. Anyone know what type Micron and Compaq have started to ship
with their PCs?? ZIP certainly seems to have become the de Facto standard,
so PPA support would be cool.

-Mark

> > 					Jordan
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert