Date:      Sun, 18 May 97 21:32:13 -0800
From:      "That Doug Guy" <tiller@connectnet.com>
To:        "john@starfire.mn.org" <john@starfire.mn.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bin/3622: gethostbyname fails for file descriptors above 255

	This looks like the beginnings of the solution to a mystery that
has been plaguing our IRC server for quite some time.  We regularly run
2,400 clients (each with one fd) and during times when ircd is busy
processing a network resynch, name resolution for incoming clients fails
completely.  We are still looking into the details, but I would like to
add to the urgency of the request for the FreeBSD authors to look into
this problem.

	I do have a caution however.  Approximately one hour after running
the test program provided with this PR, our test platform crashed, and
became completely unreachable from the internet.  We won't be able to
restart it till tomorrow am, so we won't know till then for sure whether
this program was responsible, but in 8 months of operation something like
this has never happened.

	I am not suggesting that the originator of this PR had any
malicious intent in any way.  I do suggest however that you don't run this
program unless you have handy access to the console.

	We will be happy to share any details or results we get from
further testing, and hope that others will post the same to the list.

Thanks,

Doug