Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:41:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donnie Jones <donniejones18@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPF, IPFILTER, IPFW ?  What's the difference?

Hey you guys.

I've just got my FreeBSD 4.4 gateway working, and all
is good so far, but I am interested in setting up a
firewall on the pc.

I think I understand that IPF and IPFILTER are the
same thing, right?

And, IPF and IPFW are both programs that can be used
for firewall set up on FreeBSD.

So, I ask you, what is the difference?  Is one a
replacement for the other? or what?

Also, and good docs you can point me to would be
wonderful.

Thanks,

-Donnie