Date:      Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:27:21 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Michael Lednev <freebsd-maillists@vibrators.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difficulty installing 5.3-R i386

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 03:47:32PM +0400, Michael Lednev wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:34:01 +0400, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
> wrote:
>
> >>I have an old old pentium, scsi HDD + floppy + CDROM, 16 MB of somewhat
> >>dubious ram...
> >
> >I don't think 16MB RAM is enough to install 5.x
> >You probably need to increase the RAM.
>
> strange, i've got the same error and it was gone after adding another 8 mb
> of ram
> after install i removed them back and system works on 16 mb without
> errors. is this
> normal?

Yes, that is normal.  After installation you have got a swap configured
and the system can use it if the physical RAM is not sufficient.
During installation you do not have any swap available and therefore
the RAM must be large enough to fit everything in it at once.

If you really wanted to you could almost certainly *run* (but not
install) 5.3 with only 8 MB RAM (at least if you had a customized
kernel) but I wouldn't recommend it.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson