Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 13:50:59 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMware up, running ... and dog slow ...

Morning all ...

	Well, just got 'the boss lady' upgraded to FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT and
VMWare 2.0beta, and she's most impresssed with VMWare, as a concept, but
performance is terrible, so I'm *hoping* its just something that I can
improve through configuration?

	The machine is a PII-333 with 128meg of RAM ...

	The problem is readily apparent with just the mouse, where, when
you move it across the screen, it takes awhile for the pointer to decide
to catch up :)

	We tried to run one of the videos off the Win98 CD, and it loads
up and all, but you jump about 10 frames at a time, and picture quality
sucks :(

	top shows ram at ~70meg (SIZE) and ~45Meg (RES) ...

	I'm open to suggestions ... something maybe I've missed?  I'm
looking at the VMWare Tools stuff, but it says its for 1.1, will it work
under 2 also?

	Thanks, and great work ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org