Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 08:59:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Mick Petrick <100231.1602@compuserve.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux ?

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Mick Petrick wrote:

> I am looking to purchase either FreeBSD or Linux. Most of the people I
> know are using Linux, but I hear that FreeBSD may be better. I would like
> to decide on an operating system.
>
> I am looking to develop TCP/IP software.

If you're developing TCP/IP software, definitely FreeBSD.  I just
completed a project at work involving TCP/IP, and I developed it on my
work machine, but it had to run on a Linux machine.  There were several
things that broke on Linux, most of which should have worked according to
Linux's own man pages (most of which are just copied BSD man pages).