Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 15:00:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Davies <davies@televar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question?

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Davies wrote:
> Hello I am the system's administrator for a hearing aid company and we
> currently run novell 3.12. We are out growing our system I am looking at
> FreeBSD. I am wondering if we can use the same novell applications for
> windows and dos if I upgraded to FreeBSD.  Do I need the Novell Patch from
> Netcom or will it work just fine. Can any software that supports dos and
> windows be run off FreeBSD Server. Do I need to contact our hearing aid
> software providers about this?

You can setup a FreeBSD server to run Samba and provide SMB
file and print service.  That makes it look to your lan like
an NT server.

You won't be able to run any NLMs but normal DOS and windows programs
can be installed on the network drives that FreeBSD/Samba will
provide.

I just moved one of our clients off of an NT server onto a
FreeBSD/Samba combo and they are very happy.  Especially
with the increased stability and uptime.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com