Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:23:58 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-related problems

David Schwartz wrote:

> > Feel free to submit patches.
>
>         It's not important enough to me. I'm more than happy to simply not
> recommend FreeBSD for mission-critical processes on multi-user systems. I
> don't have an agenda, so I have no incentive to do so.
>
>         Why is it that discussions of features always degenerate into "I think
> that's stupid, but if you want it, then you code it"? Is there something
> really wrong with saying, "That's a good idea, but there are no resources to
> code it"?
>
>         If it really is a bad idea, what's the point in submitting patches? If it's
> a good idea, why not state so, so that perhaps people will work on it.

Not all discussions of feature degenerate so. The ones that go on
and on and on do, so they are more visible.

In this particular case, it comes down to this: the problem is a
very complex one. A good solution, if one exists at all, is easily
the subject of a Ph.D. thesis. Effective solutions exist. Do not run
mission critical processes on machines were users cannot be trusted.
Put a cap on maximum resource usage on a per-user basis to prevent
mistakes they might make from bringing down the system. Give the
system enough resources for it's intended use.

People have said all of the above, and then, rather than repeating
themselves, just gave up on this thread. Me, on the other hand, had
to spent two nights crawling the web after a few things, leaving me
a lot of free time between page downloads. I decided to spend this
time explaining why the problem is so complex, why the effective
solutions are effective, why the solutions proposed didn't solve
anything.

When you said you didn't want a simple solution, you wanted a good
one, there were few ways I could have answered. That there are no
resources it's obvious. It is a volunteer effort. The resources we
have are the volunteers, who do what *they* want or what *they*
need, not what other people want or need. I shouldn't have to tell
you that. I could leave it at that, but I thought that would sound
like saying it was a useless idea. Since it is not a useless idea, I
decided to express it so: send the patches.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Well, Windows works, using a loose definition of 'works'..."