Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:18:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Oliver Lehmann <Kai_Allard_Liao@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Create a Bootdisk

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:04:51 -0800
"David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 08:00:15PM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> > now, i have installed FreeBSD sucessfully on this AlphaPC 164Lx
> > machine. but i need a bootdisk to boot it. So i try:
>
> Why?

The SRM Bios does not detect My Netstorm 885 (Symbios 885) SCSI Controller,
and no attached hard disks. but i think i've found an Solution.

I can't use "set rootdev=" on the bootloader, because i can only use
bios-detected harddisks at these moment. But - I think i can use:

#
# The root device and filesystem type can be compiled in;
# this provides a fallback option if the root device cannot
# be correctly guessed by the bootstrap code, or an override if
# the RB_DFLTROOT flag (-r) is specified when booting the kernel.
#
options         ROOTDEVNAME=\"ufs:da0s1a\"

in the kernel configuration file. Ok, i try it... tomorrow (better later
today ;-).

Olli