Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:33:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Bill O'Hanlon" <wmo@hq.pro-ns.net>, Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>, stable@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Announce:Suspend/resume support in 2.2

For non-laptop users, unfortunately these changes require that you must
re-configure your kernel from scratch, due to some renaming that was
done.  Sorry, hopefully it won't happen again.  If you aren't interested
in laptop support you can ignore the rest of this message.

For laptop people, I'm really getting swamped at work (my mini-vacation
is probably over), so I stayed late and committed the changes to 2.2,
hoping that it's at least better than what's there.

What it means to you is that you'll need to get the sources from this
evening's commit spree:

1) back out *any* PAO patches in /etc (customized pccard.conf are
   probably fine)
2) re-build/re-install your include files to pick up the kernel changes
3) Edit your kernel config file (if not using GENERIC) to change crd =>
   card
4) Re-config, build, and install the new kernel (don't reboot yet).
5) Re-build and install the pccard utilities in usr.sbin/pccard
6) Reboot and cross your fingers

Known bugs:
1) One person gets a crash in vget() when he inserts his cards.  I have
   no idea what's causing this, but it may be due to other changes in
   -current

2) John Polstra's box hangs trying to suspend with his modem.  We're
   guessing, but it may be due to his BIOS not allowing the machine to
   fully suspend.  Error handling is still completely non-existant for
   things such as this, but we're getting better. :)

3) PCI/CardBUS machines are not yet supported.  When I get some more
   time.

4) Some machines don't recognize PCMCIA modem cards because of bad
   hardware.  PAO disables a # of tests, but we're not doing that in the
   base distribution.  I believe there is a way to have failed tests
   ignored, but I don't know the specifics.

I'll be checking email on/off tonight, so if something is really hosed
up I want to know.

Thanks, and good luck!

Nate