Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:36:16 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Kraft Jeremy <std@pimpin.bigbootyhoes.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Video capture [was:Re: small problem...]

On Wed, Jan 28, 1998 at 09:25:49PM -0600, Kraft Jeremy wrote:
> Hello,
>   I have a small problem here, maybe some of you can be of great help.
>   I work for a local ISP, and we're about to start doing some work
>   for a weather station.  We need to take input from a video camera,
>   and somehow get it to take shots every say, 10 seconds, save it into
>   the (preferably UNIX) machine.  The purpose for this: They already
>   have a "weather cam" that is hooked up, and shows on the nightly news,
>   (6 and 10pm) -- they (and we) want to stick this "weather cam" online.
>
>   If any of you know of anything that can do this, it would be greatly
>   appreciated.  You can either just mail me personally, or here.

I'd say ask on -multemedia .

My guess would be to stick a Haupage WinTV card in the box and plop
a "normal" video camera feed into it, and take a snapshot every
once and a while (I think there are programs already developed
that will do this). Just throw the result to a file and everytime
the web page is opened you'll have theupdated picture..

I also remember someone else doing pretty much the exact same
thing.. you may want to search the archives..

-Mark

>      Thank you,
>
>   	Jeremy Kraft,  Network Administrator
>   	http://pimpin.bigbootyhoes.com/~std/
>   	flydaddy@pimpin.bigbotyhoes.com

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU