Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:51:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        mark@plato.ucsalf.ac.uk (Mark Powell)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960801-SNAP de0 problem

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Mark Powell had
to walk into mine and say:

> Installed 2.2-9608101-SNAP on a machine that was previously running
> 2.1.5 with no problems. Occasionally the machine boots up with no
> appararent errors, but can't see the network. On looking at the lights
> on the back of the SMC Etherpower card (DEC 21041) the usual orange
> T/R light is not on. A quick fix is to constantly reboot the machine
> until the light does come on and the card is functioning correctly.
> There doesn't appear to be anything different in the boot messages when
> the card does get setup okay and when it doesn't. The network is on the
> BNC connector and I've also tried a -current sys from Thurs 8/8/96 and
> that exhibits the same behaviour. I still have 2.1.5 on a spare disk and
> that always setups up the card successfully.
> Here's a successful boot:

This sounds like a bug in the autosense handling. I can't offer any
suggested code fixes (the de driver looks hideously complicated) but
you might be able to work around this by using the -link2 option to
ifconfig. This will force the driver to enable the BNC connection
regardless of what happens with the autosense media probe. I had to
do this with FreeBSD 2.1.5 not too long ago. Just edit your /etc/sysconfig
file and add -link2 to the ifconfig options for the de0 interface.
Ideally there should be a way to specify this information in the
kernel config file (or in userconfig for that matter) using a 'flags'
option to the de0 declaration so that it selects the BNC connector by
default even without intervention from ifconfig. This is not immediately
necessary though since it's mostly useful for diskless booting (the
ethernet adapter must be configured correctly from the moment the kernel
loads) and we don't currently support booting diskless with 'tulip-based'
ethernet cards.

Note that I habitually disable autosensing even with other OSes such
as Windoze NT that have vendor-written drivers. I don't want the machine
to tell me what it thinks is the right setting for the card: I want to
tell it, and I want it to bloody well listen.

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."