Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:24:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        esayer1@san.rr.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New hard drive (was: "")

[Tip: Your message did not contain a subject. Choose an appropriate
      subject line for your questions in the future, please ]

esayer1@san.rr.com wrote to questions@freebsd.org:

> 	FreeBSD-
> 	If i buy a UATA133 Bare Hard Drive, do i have to buy a disk controller.

Not likely, unless you're on really old or really obscure hardware.
Anything newer than the second-generation Pentium-I should have an
on-board dual-channel IDE controller built in. If you are using fairly
old hardware, though, beware that several Pentium-I BIOSes can not
support drives over 8GB, although if it was a good motherboard at the
time, your vendor may have published an upgrade. These are getting hard
to find, though. If your hardware is much newer than that, I don't think
you'll have much to worry about.

> If i have to and i buy a PCI one does in connect to the hard drive via
> jumpers

40- or 80-pin ribbon cable, yes. Jumpers on the drive control the mode
of the drive (slave, master/single drive, cable select). Assuming your
motherboard has an on-board controller, you'd connect the drive directly
to the motherboard.

> or does the mother board just connect it to the hard drive.  Also is
> there any compadibility issues with certain hard drives as far as SCSI
> and IDE go, like which type of disk controller you have to use.  And
> if i have to buy one which protocol do you reccommend, and what is a
> good compadible controller for FreeBSD?E-mail me back

SCSI is very expensive, and requires more experience to set up. SCSI is
suitable for more high-end applications. It sounds like you're just
getting your feet wet with this stuff, so I hope you aren't strapped
with the responsibility of building a heavy production server. Thus, I'd
recommend you go with IDE, for cost and simplicity.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon