Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:22:29 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: PPP strangeness - hosed my /etc/hosts file

On 01/22/03 05:00 PM, Doug Reynolds sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:49:12 -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
>
> >Hey all.  I've been with Verizon DSL for 3 or 4 months now, and just
> >when I think I'm getting things right, I start seeing some really
> >screwy behavior.  ifconfig shows the following for the PPP interface
> >(tun0)
> >tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
> >        inet6 fe80::2a0:c9ff:fe74:12a3%tun0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
> >        inet 68.160.2.89 --> 10.9.64.1 netmask 0xff000000
> >        inet 68.160.25.67 --> 10.9.76.1 netmask 0xff000000
> >        Opened by PID 67
> >
> >The weird thing is that the first IP is not valid.  I'm sure this is

> >/etc/hosts and httpd.conf files were hosed because of it, so I'm going
> >to have to figure out how to spot this problem in the scripts, and at
> >least warn about it, if not fix it on the fly.
>
> sounds like your being assigned a new ip address and not getting the
> routing cleared.  on dialup, i add this:
>
> /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup
> /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown
>
> and add
>
> CONNECTIONNAME:   <-- change to your connection name
>   iface clear
>

> and that does the trick for me..  with dialup, ez-ipupdate would grab
> the first one (which was the previous IP) and send it in wrong

I started to ask what ez-ipupdate was, but I took a look at the ports.
I get my IP updated fine on zoneedit, but it doesn't require the IP in
the request.  I just have ppp.etherup call lynx for each domain as
follows:

/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump -auth=UID:PASS 'http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/dynamic.html?host=mydomain.org'

Zoneedit gets the IP from the tcp connection anyway, so I got lucky there.

I take it you mean that you added iface clear to the ppp.linkdown?  I
thought I was supposed to add it to ppp.conf.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to kill ppp and restart the
connection clean without having to reboot the machine.  Any ideas
there?

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

QOTD:
  "He eats like a bird... five times his own weight each day."