Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:06:35 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        estair@computer-exchange.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: build kernel fails after CVSup, unsure of cause: errors included.

* estair@computer-exchange.com <estair@computer-exchange.com> [010418 15:05]:
> Hello all, I'm running FreeBSD-Current.5-12-2001, and have just CVSup'd
> all source into /usr.  After starting my kernel config file fresh from the
> new
> GENERIC included, I run 'make depend' from the kernel build directory only
> to have it fail after about a minute with the included errors.

That's not how you build a kernel.

cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=WHATEVER
reboot
make installworld
mergemaster

Also, are you sure you want to be running CURRENT?
Current for people who are either developing the kernel or don't
mind having a system that is broken sometimes.

> .....I'm not *positive* what sources I CVSup'd, i.e. whether they are the
> most recent 5-14-2001 or not.  There doesn't seem to be a CVSup server
> for the -Current build, current.freebsd.org doesn't work.
> ......Can anyone point me in the direction of a
> 5-Current CVSup server if that is my problem?

Sorry, you just asked the equivalent of:
"I've loaded 6 bullets into my '.357 Magnum' hairdryer, pointed it
at my head and pulled the 'dry' trigger, and it's not working.
Someone said I had to turn the 'safety' off, please tell me how."

Decide if you want STABLE or CURRENT first.
If you need more answers after that, you can mail me direct if you like.

(it actually looks like you have got CURRENT source there, now decide if
you want it.)
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns