Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:38:39 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi in F4.2-S

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:19:19PM -0600, Brennan Stehling wrote:
> I have been using vi for a very long time and often like to run it inside
> of a screen session, but lately I have had display problems.  In F3.4 I
> was fine and I have not changed my SSH client or any of my shell
> settings.  I just now started to have problems.
>
> I am in a session with vi editing a perl script and as I arrow down the
> cursor actually goes up and the entire screen is not displayed.  It
> appears that the first several lines will display while the lower part
> just goes blank.  I have to continually hit control-l to get the screen to
> refresh.
>
> I am unsure if this is an issue with vi or screen but it seems to happen
> with or without screen.  It is hard to test it as it seems
> sporadic.

When I upgraded `screen', I had this problem running with an xterm.
Finally traced it down to the default configuration in
/usr/local/etc/screenrc. Had to remove the "cs=...." for xterm, and it
then started working fine again.

Of course, this will only help if you're using an xterm with
screen....

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>