Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2014 13:01:26 -0400
From:      Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>
To:        Yonghyeon PYUN <pyunyh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very bad Realtek problems

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:46:30AM +0900, Yonghyeon PYUN wrote:

> Given that you can reliably reproduce the issue, let's check simple ones
> first.

Just as a quick update, I couldn't tolerate the network outages any more as
they were impacting my work, so I bought an Intel NIC. That said, this will
actually free me up to do more debugging of the Realtek as soon as I get a
chance to finish setting up a small test network - I'll be able to look at
both sides of interactions instead of depending on the flaky interface.

> If you think the issue intermittently happens regardless of network load,
> try attached patch. I'm not sure whether the patch makes any difference for
> you since many PCIe NICs don't implement CLKREQ feature. It's just a wild
> guess.

This is an onboard NIC, for what it's worth, on my:

Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
        Product Name: M4A88T-M
        Version: Rev X.0x

I'm not sure if that changes it as compared with a plug-in PCIe device. Just
mentioning it for completeness.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             mason@blisses.org            Ewige Blumenkraft!
(if awake 'sleep (aref #(sleep dream) (random 2))) -- Hamlet, Act III, Scene I