Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:32:23 -0500
From:      AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, kde@FreeBSD.org, alpha@FreeBSD.org, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] koffice broken on alpha

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 03:15:40AM +0200, Andy Fawcett wrote:
>On Sunday 12 January 2003 02:40, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> >
>> > Looks like a limitation of the tools on alpha, from the two lines:
>> >
>> > /usr/bin/ld: .libs/libkwordpart_la.all_cc.o: .got subsegment \
>> > 	exceeds 64K (size 66552)
>> > /usr/bin/ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: No such file \
>> > 	or directory
>> >
>> > Kris, we've seen this one before somewhere, and we resolved it by
>> > disabling KDE's "--enable-final" for Alpha builds. AlanE will
>> > probably be able to tell you where it was better than I can guess
>> > ;)
>>
>> Someone needs to submit/commit an actual patch so I can test it.
>
>Well, Terry Lambert provided all the necessary info back on 4 Jan, but
>I've attached an 'official' patch which will fix it. Only tested on
>i386, but there's nothing platform specific in this one.
>
>(kde-freebsd team: All it does is disable --enable-final for all
>platforms)

I won't commit that. The build-time speedup from final is too significant.
You're going to have to make the patch platform specific for it to go in;
you could put this in now, but I'll back it out when 3.1 release gets
committed.

--
AlanE (Alan Eldridge)
Unix/C(++) IT Pro for 20 yrs, likes fixing weird distributed systems bugs.