Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:18:00 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: groff alternative?

> cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org

I dropped freebsd-question@freebsd.org to avoid cross posting,
deprecated on FreeBSD.org lists.

Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> --nextPart3677596.j3orVY53Xm
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm using NO_CXX in my make.conf to strip down the base system to ~50MB=20
> including man pages. The only problem is that groff is missing if I don't=20
> build c++, and even if I build groff itself and the needed libstdc++ it cos=
> ts=20
> me about 10MB. If I just skip NO_CXX it's only 500k more, so I moved my=20
> patches to /dev/null.
>
> Now I wrote a port for GNU/groff, but this also consumes 9974k by default a=
> nd=20
> I don't want to include patches into that port to strip down groff, if that=
> =20
> was possible at all.
>
> Does anybody know any alternative for the groff part to view man pages simp=
> ly=20
> with the man command? It's horrible that the filter needs more space than a=
> ll=20
> the manpages itself!
>
> And of course, even if I decide to leave system man pages outside the flash=
> =20
> card I still may want to read man pages of installed packages (which is=20
> another mountpoint on my installation, so there may be no space limit,=20
> depending on the card and additional drives)
>
> Thanks,
>
> =2DHarry

Years back "Phil Cockcroft" <phil@cockcroft.de> cc'd wrote a simple roff tool
for ascii formatting .rof stuff eg Unix manuals. Ran under dos & Unix.
Some files are dated 1994.
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/odds/c/unix4dos/nroff
du: 110K, doesnt need C++, Might need a little macro faking/ tweaking
to do modern BSD manuals.

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.