Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:31:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The status of docker

> On 22/01/2019 20:01, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >> Am 22.01.2019 um 20:48 schrieb Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com
> >> <mailto:list1@gjunka.com>>:
> >> 2. A docker container in a jail with no native linux kernel, docker
> >> is running completely in FreeBSD environment
> >>
> >> 2 would be most convenient but also most difficult as all smallest
> >> docker features would need to be ported natively to FreeBSD
> >
> > IIRC the Joyent approach was to port the Linux system call API to an
> > extent that made it possible to ?simply? run Linux Docker in zones without
> > a Linux kernel ?
> >

> So option 2? That's nice, good to know. Maybe it isn't as difficult.
> Docker is quite popular in the industry so maybe some sponsorship would
> be possible?
>
> BTW is Joyent is any way related to Oracle? Why would they want to
> support zones? Is the support they implemented open sourced?

Joyent is running on Illumos which is based on OpenSolaris which
is open source.

Illumos can also run KVM and bhyve and zones all at the same time,
its rather nice in they have done some things that support this,
some of which I am working with Joyent on bringing to FreeBSD
(mainly the ability to have more than one type II hypevisor running.)

But first there is some cruft cleaning being done for both
FreeBSD and Illumos, removal of constant VM_MAXCPU so you
can run bhyve guests with as many threads as your host has.