Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:09:56 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: swapping hardware

Jean-Paul Natola wrote:

> Believe me , I wish I knew how to do something weird with the kernel- I'm
> still wet behind the ears in BSD land.  This machine , believe it or not , I
> use a mail filter server-  BSD/CLAM/SA and EXIM-   and I only putty into it-
> no X no video nada- but it should* recognize  and install the drivers for the
> video and nic? that is my main concern

No X --> No problem on video. The text console works on any graphics
hardware.
Since the network card will be different, you will have to redo the
network settings. If you know the brand / type of the netcard in the new
machine, have a look at the hardware list of 6.2 to see if it is supported.
Have a look at your old network settings in /etc/rc.conf
The following lines are of interest:

ifconfig_<drivername>="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
hostname="yourhost.yourdomain.something"
defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Hostname and defaultrouter will not change, what you will have to change
is the <drivername> to match the new network card. You can redo the
whole configuration from sysinstall (Configure -> Networking ->
Interfaces) or simply find out the name of the network card from there
and change it yourself. You will need to connect a keyboard and screen
into the system, as your not - most probably - going to have networking
at first boot.