Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:15:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-usb@FreeBSD.ORG, hselasky@c2i.net
Subject:   Re: usb2 + scanner HP ScanJet 4300C

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
 > On Friday 12 December 2008, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > usb2_alloc_device:
 >
 > You could try to edit the code in "sys/dev/usb2/core/usb2_device.c" and loop
 > two times on the set_config command in "usb2_alloc_device()".
 >
 > Or you can try to make the code ignore the return value from the failing
 > set_config command. Also try to turn on more debugging:
 >
 > sysctl hw.usb2.debug=15

Thank you!  That got me a step forward.

Looping two or even three times didn't help, the set_config
just continued to time out and fail.  Then I followed your
second advice and inserted "err = 0;" so the error was
ignored.  Now the device attaches!  »usbconfig list« says:

ugen0.1: <OHCI root HUB nVidia> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB nVidia> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen0.2: <Scanjet 4300C Hewlett Packard> at usbus0, cfg=255 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

Does that mean this device needs a quirk entry or something
like that?  I mean, setting err = 0 is a hack, it's not the
proper solution.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to check whether it works with
SANE because I had to catch the train ...  I'll continue
with that next week.  I hope I can finally make this
scanner work ...  The uscanner(4) manpage claims the 4300C
is supported (for years already), but that wasn't true
until now.

Best regards
   Oliver

"A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier
to program in than some that do."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie