Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:42:34 +0100
From:      "Barry Byrne" <barry.byrne@wbtsystems.com>
To:        "local.freebsd.questions" <freebsd-questions-local@insignia.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Apache 1.3.22

FreeBSD doesn't use /etc/pam.d as some systems do, instead, there
is a single file called /etc/pam.conf

You need to add lines in the format:

	httpd   account required        pam_unix.so

> Attempting to access a protected file gets this:
>
> Jul  2 15:20:39 speyburn httpd: unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_unix.so)
> Jul  2 15:20:39 speyburn httpd: unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_unix.so)
> Jul  2 15:20:39 speyburn httpd: [dlerror: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so:
> Undefined symbol "pam_get_item"]
> Jul  2 15:20:39 speyburn httpd: [dlerror: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so:
> Undefined symbol "pam_get_item"]
> Jul  2 15:20:39 speyburn httpd: adding faulty module:
> /usr/lib/pam_unix.so
> Jul  2 15:20:39 speyburn httpd: adding faulty module:
> /usr/lib/pam_unix.so

You probably will have two futher issues here.
Firstly, unless apache is compiled with the PAM libraries, it
will fail to load them. The simplest solution is to use LD_PRELOAD
when starting apache.

In your apache startup file, try something like:

	LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libpam.so.1"
	export LD_PRELOAD
	/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

You may also have another problem:

pam_unix.so requires root privileges - apache typically runs as 'nobody',
so you won't be able to use this particular PAM module unless you run
apache as root (don't do this). You should be able to use most other PAM
modules just fine though.

 - Barry