Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:37:59 -0500
From:      "Stephen Hoover" <shooverfbn@442spot.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-question@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about vinum and failure of root partition

> > Hmmm ok, I must be missing something here. Let's say I had /usr
> > and /home mirrored. Now the root partition (that is the boot partition)
> > is NOT mirrored and the first drive fails. (wiping out the FreeBSD
> > config altogether.)
>
> What do you mean by "FreeBSD config"?

By that I mean all of / is gone - so essentially all of the FreeBSD install
is gone - i.e. FreeBSD will not boot up and run upon failure of the first
drive. It sounds like (from previous emails) that some vinum info is on
the second drive and I should be able to regenerate the mirror set from
the second drive. (After I have reinstalled/repartitioned FreeBSD correctly
of course.) I will have to test this and see how it works exactly for
myself.

Thanks for the insight!
Stephen Hoover
Dallas, Texas