Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 00:35:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Michael Reifenberger <root@nihil.plaut.de>
To:        greg@lemis.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Panic: Invalid longjmp with vinum configured by novice

Hi,
I often get to above message while trying to configure vinum.
Trying the examples from the manpage works, of course.
Next try.
What I want to do:
First creating a non mirrored but striped volume and later add one mirror plex.

I do:
# vinum start
# vinum resetconfig
# cat x
drive d1 device /dev/da1d
drive d2 device /dev/da2d
volume raid
 plex org stripe 256k
  sd length 50m drive d1
  sd length 50m drive d2
vinum create x
(Please note the missing 'd' in stripe)

I get:
..the panic..

Now with the missing 'd' `vinum create x` works as expected.
vinum l shows:
# vinum l
Configuration summary

Drives:         2 (4 configured)
Volumes:        1 (4 configured)
Plexes:         1 (8 configured)
Subdisks:       2 (16 configured)

D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/da1d        Avail: 8664/8714
MB (99%)
D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/da2d        Avail: 8664/8714
MB (99%)

V raid                  State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        100 MB

P raid.p0             S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:        100 MB

S raid.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         50 MB
S raid.p0.s1            State: up       PO:      256 kB Size:         50 MB

Now adding the second plex:
# cat z
plex org striped volume raid
  sd length 50m drive d2
  sd length 50m drive d1
(please note the missing stripesize)

# vinum create z

I get:
..the panic..

Sigh.
After correcting z the `vinum create z` works as expected.

BTW: Any chance that the create commands will work interactive from within  vinum?
I suspect one will not have a r/w filesystem in worst case scenarios for
creating vinum createfiles (And even if, `ed` is not my friend.)

Bye!
----
Michael Reifenberger
Plaut Software GmbH, R/3 Basis