Date:      Sat, 8 Oct 2011 17:16:59 +0100
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ulrich_Sp=F6rlein?= <uqs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doceng@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Conversion to SVN

On 8 Oct 2011, at 13:04, Ulrich Sp=F6rlein wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 11:20:53 +0100, Simon L. B. Nielsen wrote:
>>=20
>> On 7 Oct 2011, at 15:13, Ulrich Sp=F6rlein wrote:
>>=20
>>> What I, personally, would like to see is us using the same svn repo =
as
>>> src. That means we would have to stop svn.freebsd.org for the
>>> conversion, turn off email sending, dump 50k revisions into it =
(under
>>> /doc and /www perhaps? where should branches/tags end up?), then =
turn
>>> everything back on.
>>=20
>> The advantages of having one repo need to be significant as the
>> disadvantages are certainly there. For svn to perform in the current
>> setup all of the repo basically need to fit into RAM - one large repo
>> makes this harder as we can't split on multiple servers as needed
>> later.
>=20
> I doubt that the 650MB of doc/www repo will make a difference here.

OK, it's smaller than I recalled - so that part less not an issue for =
main servers.

>> Also, please think of ports - I really doubt src and ports will fit
>> into same repo nicely...
>=20
> As I stated earlier, I'm not advocating moving ports into the same =
repo.
> I'm not that crazy ...

My main point was that if ports is still separate, I don't think we gain =
much by merging src and doc.

>> I'm not really sure where you would fit doc into the current repo...
>> head/ etc. is on the top level.
>=20
> /doc and /www would be the obvious choices. Ed even jokingly (??) said

Well, that seems like a bit of a mess as you mainly have branches at =
that level...

> we should just rename /head to /src ... not sure I concur.

Considering we have stable etc. on the same level that seems like a bad =
thing to do...

Regardless, if it should be one repo (I'm still not convinced at all it =
buys us anything useful) Peter need to sign off on it and say it's the =
right way to go - at least for me to touch it.

--=20
Simon L. B. Nielsen