Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:25:16 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD mentioned in new O'Reilly book

Today I bought a copy of the newly published (May 1999) O'Reilly
book "Programming with Qt" by Matthias Kalle Dalheimer.

In the first chapter he mentions FreeBSD twice, "...popular free
Unix-like operating systems, such as Linux or FreeBSD....". I don't
know if there are further references (give me a chance, it's a
350-page book).

OK, so it's not earth-shattering FreeBSD advocacy but it's good to
see an author not using "Linux" as an umbrella term for free Unix.
Nice one, Matthias.

There is also a short section "Red Hat's position towards Qt" in
which he explains that Red Hat's opinion is that Qt is not free
according to their deinition of free. I don't know whether he
intends it as a criticism of Red Hat but I certainly read it as
such.