Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 14:54:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Pedro Leitao <pete@jeeves.poopie.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   passwd

hmm, for some reason my users can't change their passwords.
I turned their permissions to run chfn off, but I didn't do anything to
passwd.
I tried to fix but....

before doing anything passwd's permissions where
-r-sr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  24976 Feb 15 10:44 /usr/bin/passwd

now after screwing around I get
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  24976 Feb 15 10:44 /usr/bin/passwd

when a user tries to change his password it gets this
passwd: error opening database: /etc/pwd.db.: Permission denied
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged

thanx in advance...
_P_