Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:22:40 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <davids@webmaster.com>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        TM4525@aol.com
Subject:   RE: GPL vs BSD Licence

The GPL and Linux don't care if you link into their system libraries,
they expect that which is why the system libraries are LGPLd

What they care about is linking into libraries (like readline) which
they consider "their" work.  If you do it, regardless of whether you
use those library headers or use a translation think like you are
outlining here, you must GPL your stuff.

The contamination comes from linking in, even dynamically, not from
just using ascii source files.

Ted