Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:22:57 -0700
From:      James Harrison <jamesh@lanl.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   login.conf password options

Hi folks,

I've slowly been setting up some options for the default class in
login.conf such that passwords will expire after 150 days. To test
whether this functionality was working, I have a warning appear on the
first day, so that if I set a password and log in , I ought to be warned
that my password will expire in 150 days.

It doesn't appear to be working. I am not receiving any kind of warning
that my password will expire.

To see whether I was correctly in the default class, I changed the
message of the day file from /etc/motd to /etc/motw, and the message of
the day changed appropriately. I then set up a session limit of an hour
and a half with a warning appearing after 1 minute, but that isn't
working either.

The method I'm using is this: I use vi to edit the /etc/login.conf, then
run cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf. I then reboot the machine, to make sure
that everything that ought to be paying attention does.

I suspected that /etc/master.passwd might need updating, so I used vipw,
made a trivial change, saved the change, but nothing.

My default class reads:

default:\
        :passwd_format=md5:\
        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES:\
        :path=/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin ~/bin:\
        :nologin=/var/run/nologin:\
        :cputime=unlimited:\
        :datasize=unlimited:\
        :stacksize=unlimited:\