Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:58:19 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <johann@egenetics.com>
To:        Thomas Blanchard <tblanchard@etiinternational.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I install Ports?

Thomas Blanchard on 2001-03-22 (Thu) at 18:04:59 -0500:

> My specific thing is SAMBA,  I run make install in the /usr/ports/net/samba
> directory and get weird error messages about Ftp's and such, or I'll get
> '....  is alread up to date'.

Can you be somewhat more specific about those error messages?  It's rather
difficult to debug a problem remotely based only on vague hints of what is
goig wrong!

> Now on the up to date thing, does that mean that it is installed already,
> if so how do I know,

pkg_info(1) should give you a list of installed ports and/or packages.

> and where do you find the smb.conf file that configures it?

For the most part, (non-X11) ports live under /usr/local - you should
therefore expect to see configuration files under /usr/local/etc.

> Also with the 4 CD set, I notice that I can install the entire system from
> ONE CD, is that supposed to happen?  What are the other CD's for?

Speaking under correction, but I believe that the second CD is a live
filesystem, if you want to run the OS (mostly) off CD, and the third and last
CDs contain binary packages, pre-compiled from the ports.

> I've read all the documentation on your FreeBSD help site, but I couldn't
> find answers to any of these questions.   Please, Please help, I would love
> to be able to understand and use UNIX.

Try:
  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports.html

-- Johann