Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:47:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        Borje Josefsson <bj@dc.luth.se>
Cc:        <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Winmodem question

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Borje Josefsson wrote:

> I am trying to get FreeBSD 4.5 working on a Toshiba Portege 2000. So
> far so good (sound, X, built-in wavelan etc works fine), but I haven't
> got the winmodem to work. Since I haven't had a laptop with a winmodem
> before, I am not really sure what to do... Under Windows the modem is
> shown as "Toshiba software modem AMR", manufacturer "LT" and uses the
> driver "LTSM.SYS", so I guess it is a Lucent modem.
> I have installed the ltmdm port without problems, and the module loads
> without a comment, but the modem doesn't respond:

No comment at all? It should at least print a line or two in
/var/log/messages showing that the driver has discovered the modem. I get:
ltmdm0: <Lucent Winmodem> port...
ltmdm0: type Virtual 16550A

If you don't then I guess the driver doesn't recognise the modem (which
sounds like it's the case, given the info below). What does pciconf -l
give?

> root@porter 42# tip winmodem
> tip: /dev/cual0: Device not configured
> link down

If you're getting no recognition from the above then i'm not suprised...

> I have seen some mails describing "winmodem" being displayed by dmesg, but
> I see no such thing, the one I guess is the winmodem is the following:
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1179, dev=0x0805) at 18.0 irq 11

I have no idea what this is. It's not on pciids.sourceforge.net or in
/usr/share/misc/pci_vendors, so I guess it's very new. 1179 is however
Toshiba's vendor ID. Do you have windows dual booting on this machine? If
so, you can go into the registry and find which device this ID belongs to.

> What have I forgotten to do to make the winmodem to work??

OK, let's have a go. Seeing as we're pretty sure it's a Lucent modem, It's
worth a try. Note that this should be safe, but if it causes problems then
you've been warned. First, update your ports collection, (see
http://www.freebsddiary.org/ports.php if you don't know how to). then:

su to root
cd /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm
make clean configure
load ./work/sys/dev/ltmdm/ltmdmsio.c into your favourite editor
Search for "pci_ids[]" (without the quotes)
In the table, insert the following line above the line ending in NULL:
    { 0x1179, 0x0805, 0x0805, "Toshiba Winmodem" },
Save the file
Execute make all install

reboot and see if it worked... you should at least get it recognised
when the module loads up. THe real test will be if you can talk to it.
tell me how it goes.

Gavin