Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2006 11:56:38 -0500
From:      "Lisa Casey" <lisa@jellico.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?B?S/Z2ZXNk4W4gR+Fib3I=?= <gabor.kovesdan@t-hosting.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting a new server

Hi Gabor,

> I'd suggest using courier-imap or something else instead of qpopper.
> Afaik, qpopper supports only the mailbox format, which is slower and less
> secure than the maildir format used by modern pop3/imap servers.
> Courier-imap has a pop3 and an imap part, both of them have SSL support
> and are easily configurable. Your company migth benefit from running an
> imap server too. It has a bunch of advantages over pop3, so this might
> make your users feel more appreciated.

I agree you have a pointg here, my main concerns are:

1) I'm used to Sendmail/Qpopper. I'm used to installing these, maintaining
these and troubleshooting these. I also want changing over the mail server
to be as seamless as possible for our customers. So I don't really want to
add a Courier-imap learning curve (for both myself and my customers) right
on top of things.

2) I also am used to (and kind of like) having all of the mailboxes in one
location on the system (/var/mail/). How much of a performance hit is there
in mbox mailboxes vs mdir format mailboxes?

Lisa Casey