Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:16:21 -0500
From:      "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fsck on mounted filesystems

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 09:39:43AM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Normally, if you really need to fsck on the run, you should shut down
> to single-user mode first, and dismount the filesystem.

I don't see this clearly mentioned in the handbook.

Quoting the makeworld.html page of the handbook:

As the superuser, you can execute
     # shutdown now
from a running system, which will drop it to single user mode.

Alternatively, reboot the system, and at the boot prompt, enter the -s
flag. The system will then boot single user. At the shell prompt you
should then run:
    # fsck -p
    # mount -u /
    # mount -a -t ufs
    # swapon -a"

I understand this as: do the shutdown now, then all the fsck and mount
stuff; or, reboot with the -s flag and then do all the fsck and mount stuff.

If this isn't the case, then it should be more clearly outlined.

--
David Kanter
djkanter@nwu.edu