Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 08:22:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Quintin Oliver <quintin@smlt.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Joey Garcia <gummibear@mediaone.net>
Subject:   Re: Games and Stuff: Conerning Doom and Quake

On 06-Nov-98 Quintin Oliver wrote:
>> I have also been wondering if anyone has gotten Quake to work with
>> FreeBSD.  I didn't see Quake specifically in the ports collection,
>> although I did notice a quakeserver.  If I could run Quake with FreeBSD,
>> where could I get it? (I hope the neccessary info will come with it.)
>
> I normally play Quake on Linux, I copied 'squake' onto FreeBSD howevr it
> had troubles finding the SVGALibs. Perhaps there is some way we can use
> the SVGALibs in Linux on BSD? or emulate them.
>
> I downloaded Squake from: http://threewave.planetquake.com/linux/ - you
> will find all the Quake goodies there, I'd imagine Xquake will work but it
> runs really so. Squake runs in text mode is the SVGA Lib's and moves like
> a beast on my p133 linux workstation.
>
> If you get it to work *please* let me know, or perhaps we can work
> together on making it work?

The mailing list archives mention that the SVGAlibs were hacked to try to get
this to work, but were unsuccessful.  The xquake and qwcl.x11 both work on
FreeBSD.

On a side note, the sound does not work with Luigi's pcm0 sound device, so if
you want sound, you'll need to use the sb code.  The pcm0 code does not allow
for Quake to directly memory map the sound card (if I remember what I read
right.)

I'm running on a 233 MMX with FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE and xquake runs acceptably
fast.  I would love to be able to get the squake to work on FreeBSD, since
that's the path the Linux world seems to be working on.

Patrick
---
Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9